This was a question that was posed to me recently by a supporter from Birmingham: How many elections have you worked on?
Using records from the Secretary of State’s web site, I was able to count at least 378 days on which an election was held, and I was part of the teams that participated in administering those elections.
The actual number of elections on which I worked is higher though, because that number (378) are distinct days on which elections were conducted. On many of those days, there were multiple elections being conducted on the same date. For example:
- In 1999, when Alabamians were presented with a referendum on a proposed constitutional amendment that would have permitted a state lottery, the City of Montgomery conducted a regularly-scheduled municipal election.
- In the same years as presidential elections, the vast majority of municipal elections have been held on the fourth Tuesday in August. (That will change in the near future, as most municipal elections will be moved out of the presidential election year beginning in 2023).
- Sometimes, special elections for multiple legislative seats have been held on the same day. In 2021, special general elections were held on the same day for Alabama Senate District 14 and Alabama House of Representatives District 73.
- Some municipalities do not hold their elections on the fourth Tuesday of a presidential year, but they still hold them on the same day as another municipality. In 2021, the Cities of Birmingham and Mobile held their regular municipal elections and their runoff elections on the same day for each respective election.
Additionally, the Secretary of State’s records do not always include information about special elections at the county or municipal level, although that office provides support for those elections when asked. I worked on quite a number of those special elections. For example:
- This coming week, on January 11th, Dale County will conduct a special school tax election for which I helped them prepare.
- On November 16, 2021, St. Clair County conducted a special school tax election which I assisted them with.